Twitchity mini hex build

Invid

Your hex looks great Invid, especially with the anodized purple hardware. That GoPro looks gigantic on the hex, or the frame is just really that small (I can't tell yet). I noticed you have a second antenna coming out, is that one for your receiver? Would love to see some more closeup shots once you get the time.

If you don't mind saying, where did you purchase your aluminum hardware from? I was looking into Fastener Express, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Can't wait to hear how it performs and your opinion on the hex once you get some flight time in. I'm assuming you're flying it FPV since I can see the vtx antenna, how was the mounting of the FPV cam? Did you run into any issues with it?

Thanks Twitchity. The GoPro does look huge on there doesn't it? It's not really that bad in person, but the frame is quite small...it was a bit of work trying to find a good mounting space for the minimOSD. It's a bit of a tight fit.

I got my screws from Fastener Express also. I'd have preferred red anodized but my Blackout quad uses the purple and it seemed like a good idea to keep that hardware common to minimize the expense.

The second antenna is for my EZUHF receiver...time will tell whether or not being that close to the 5.8Ghz video transmitter will have too much of an effect on the reception of my 433 Mhz control. Even if it does compromise my range a little, I expect that I should still be able to easily outfly my video which is what I want.

I will be flying it FPV almost exclusively. I rarely find myself flying LOS these days, usually just for a one or two battery break and to keep the LOS skills up. I much prefer FPV.

I'll let you know about the flight cam when my replacement comes in. I thought I had one but it appears that it died in a crash some time ago. I'm currently using a Fatshark CMOS camera which is a lot smaller and is just double sided taped to the upper plate.

I've been thinking about it, and I think a 2200 will probably be too small for this frame...the throttle is very touchy and I'm hovering at around 20% throttle! I'll probably reserve my 2200s for when I want to fly like a maniac for a short time. :D

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I like that purple hardware. Looks like WarpQuad gear. I think I will look into that shop in an effort to make a better build and lighten some of my copters a bit. Thanks for the link.

If you have photos or if you ever rebuild it, post the build. This frame is awesome and elegant. I think people will like it and will want to build one if there are multiple instructions using a wide variety of hardware. That build is pretty nice, Invid.

IMO, if you built a flying hexacopter in your own little shop and it flies you should be proud to share it.

After seeing your copter and this white one, I am really wanting to go FPV on my CF hex and re-build my G-10 stripped down version. I had it down to 389 grams + lipo. Gonna have to look at FPV gear.

Are either of you, Imvid or Codemonkey, planning on going 4S?

Invid

Are either of you, Imvid or Codemonkey, planning on going 4S?

I always build with 4S as a possibility since it's less trouble to do in the planning stage than to retrofit, but no plans to actually use it yet. 6" props on 3S 2300kv doesn't feel underpowered at all.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I too am starting out 3S with designs to go 4S. Just need to figure out the voltage regulator for LEDs. I also agree the copter doesn't feel underpowered on 3S but 4S is sooooo tempting. :)

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm using the FrSky X4R-SB receiver with the SBus to CPPM adapter on this build. I got rid of the parts I don't need and shortened the wires, then mounted both parts under the Naze32 board with some foam tape.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Don't forget to set the failsafe. It sucks to have to take the copter apart to do so. :black_eyed:

Twitchity

Looks better and better with every picture and I can't wait to see it fully built. How tall are those standoffs you're using for the Naze? I believe the ones I sent you were 6mm tall with 6mm long threads which look to be the same as the white ones you're using, but I wanted to make sure. Cranial needed to use slightly longer standoffs, but he also has his BEC under the receiver connectors and could be using a different receiver which required more clearance.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I didn't need taller standoffs. I need longer threads on the standoffs.

I don't want or like the taller standoffs. :)

The shorter standoffs have shorter threads that won't allow me to use two O rings without compressing them and compromising my vibration mitigation. You don't want the O rings to be squashed. They need to remain soft to cushion the Naze.

There is plenty of room below the shorter standoffs for the receiver.

I needed longer threads and the only standoffs I had with longer threads were taller. I will happily use shorter standoffs as these push my wires into the top plate of the copter.

Last edited:

Twitchity

I knew you needed longer threads, but also saw the taller standoffs as well. I thought you needed more clearance for the receiver/BEC. That's good to know the height was fine, and it was just the length of the threads causing the problem.

10mm aluminum standoffs, two 2mm thick o-rings per mounting hole, and 8mm long bolts. That sounds like it will work put perfectly then since the locknuts were 4mm tall, and the standoffs were 6mm tall. Thank's for clearing that up for my cranial; it's still early so I must not be fully awake yet... It is Friday after all :D

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
How tall are those standoffs you're using for the Naze? I believe the ones I sent you were 6mm tall with 6mm long threads which look to be the same as the white ones you're using, but I wanted to make sure. Cranial needed to use slightly longer standoffs, but he also has his BEC under the receiver connectors and could be using a different receiver which required more clearance.

The standoffs I'm using are the same size as yours. They're 6 mm with 6 mm threads.

I can see why Cranial went with longer threads. The o-rings I have used previously are much thicker than the ones from you.

If I change and go with the thicker o-rings, I might use a spacer and a screw cut to the proper length instead of a standoff.

I might go with a slightly longer standoff or spacer to lift the Naze and rx up a bit. I'll wait until I get my power distribution done to see if it sticks up from the hole under the Naze too much before I decide that.