Twitchity mini hex build

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I am considering trying to paint these green rotors blue or some yellow (orange almost) rotors blue.

These are HQs and I an thinking some yellow on the green rotors followed up with a coat or two of blue...

Thoughts?

cranialrectosis

Mentor
The copter flies but not very well. :(

AUW is 394 grams.

Maiden was nice but there is a rattle I want to chase down before I try anything fast. I am now checking all the grub screws and frame screws.

Edit: I checked all the screws and nuts and everything is tight. I took the copter back outside and flew it off the picknick table. Sitting on the table I can hear that buzz come and go hard enough to shake the copter while it is sitting on the table. In the air, the whole copter rattles in cycles every few seconds causing the copter to dip and then rev to keep up.

When I attach the lipo motor 3 now spins a complete revolution. This is before I arm the copter and set it on the bench. I am wondering if the rattle is ESC 3...

Last edited:

Twitchity

It's good to see the very first hex is still alive and kicking, Cranial :) Hopefully you'll get the issue you're having with it sorted out soon.

I almost wish Code never painted his hex white... Now I think a lot more are going to follow and I had plans for my next build to involve a lot of white. Oh well, we'll all have to share white multirotors now :)

cranialrectosis

Mentor
That light colored G10 is the key Twitchity. :)

This copter has seen some pretty gnarly crashes, but she's still kickin'. The long, thin G10 booms make a kinda 'twang' when they crash, but I haven't broken one yet.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I almost wish Code never painted his hex white... Now I think a lot more are going to follow and I had plans for my next build to involve a lot of white. Oh well, we'll all have to share white multirotors now :)

Sorry, man. Didn't mean to steal your thunder. :)

Can't wait to see your white build.

C0d3M0nk3y

I'm still getting the hang of flying FPV. Over the weekend, I picked a fairly simple maneuver and practiced it. That practice makes for a pretty boring video (I said it was a simple maneuver), but I'll put it here anyway. I can tell I'm improving.

C0d3M0nk3y

I made some protective housings for my FPV antennas over the weekend. I used ping pong balls cut in half and some lexan that I cut into circles using a hole saw.

Twitchity

I believe the LED strip I got from GotHeliRC was white, but I'll have to double check just to make sure. It looks like you're making good progress on FPV flying. I need to spend at least a few batteries per day flying FPV to get more experience, I just need to get over the fear of my quad hitting something in the back yard.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I use a sharpie to color my white strips (Amazon) black. I don't much like the results but it is better than a white strip on my black copter and I don't want to buy new black strips from Flyduino and have white and black strips of LEDs...

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I got white LED strips (the strip not the LED's) from multirotorminis, but unfortunately it looks like they're shut down right now :(

Invid

I'm still getting the hang of flying FPV. Over the weekend, I picked a fairly simple maneuver and practiced it. That practice makes for a pretty boring video (I said it was a simple maneuver), but I'll put it here anyway. I can tell I'm improving.

Looking good Codemonkey. I watched the whole video and you could see the progression across the multiple passes.

I almost stopped the video to offer some feedback but you nailed it by the end of the video! What I was going to offer is this: "Use the rudder...in FPV you can only see ahead of you and a bit to either side, so you have to break yourself of sliding to the sides where you can't see where you're going. Use the rudder to make sure you can see where you're moving."

You improved massively by the end of the video though so it wasn't needed. Pointing in the direction of travel makes for more interesting video too, unless you are framing a shot with a subject that provides the point of interest.

Nice flight.

C0d3M0nk3y

I almost stopped the video to offer some feedback but you nailed it by the end of the video! What I was going to offer is this: "Use the rudder...in FPV you can only see ahead of you and a bit to either side, so you have to break yourself of sliding to the sides where you can't see where you're going. Use the rudder to make sure you can see where you're moving."
Yeah, once I got the hang of using more rudder than I do flying LOS, I started doing a lot better.

Nice flight.
Thanks.

C0d3M0nk3y

I replaced the anti-vibration bobbins with silicone vibration dampening balls. To do this, I cut two plates out of plywood roughly the same size as the stock camera clean plate. I attached the bottom plate to the frame with some bolts through the holes where the bobbins used to attach.

As you can tell from how dirty the silicone balls are, I did a bit of test flying before I took these photos. They worked great.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
The bobbins didn't work?

I just ordered a few with M3 threads on both sides because I wanted to avoid cutting bigger holes on the Electrohub frame.

Does anyone pay attention to the weight specifications of the damping balls? Or do you just use what's there?