Twitchity mini hex build

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
The bobbins didn't work?
No. I got almost no vibration dampening from the bobbins. When I added a big slab of vibration absorbing gel, I got video that was watchable, but there was still way too much jello for me to be happy with the quality.

The bobbins are very stiff. I wonder if the weight of the mobius just isn't enough to make them very effective. Of course, there could just be something on my particular setup that is making vibrations that the bobbins can't handle. This is the first time I've tried them.

Does anyone pay attention to the weight specifications of the damping balls? Or do you just use what's there?
I think these are rated for 100 g. It's kind of hard to tell from the eBay description, though. The last ones I bought were a little stiffer, and they worked really well. I think they were rated 135 g.

Twitchity

Code, sorry to hear the bobbins didn't work out for you. I'm going to look into revising the camera plate to have the option to use the bobbins like yours and the threaded ones I sent you.

C0d3M0nk3y

Code, sorry to hear the bobbins didn't work out for you. I'm going to look into revising the camera plate to have the option to use the bobbins like yours and the threaded ones I sent you.

Oh, it's cool. I know some people prefer the bobbins because they won't get ripped off in a crash like the silicone balls can. It would be nice to have the option, though. I mounted them like I did with the plywood plates so I wouldn't have to drill out holes in the top plate of the frame or in the camera clean plate. That way I could go back to the bobbins if I wanted.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
You might be right about the weight. My idea was to mount the bobbins on the Electrohub frame and have the battery, controller, camera, etc. on an extra plattform supported by those. Just the small Mobius probably isn't enough weight to have any effect.

This calls for experiments :)

C0d3M0nk3y

You might be right about the weight. My idea was to mount the bobbins on the Electrohub frame and have the battery, controller, camera, etc. on an extra plattform supported by those. Just the small Mobius probably isn't enough weight to have any effect.

This calls for experiments :)
Sounds cool. I'll be interested to see your results.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Weight is your friend when you have a vibration dampening system for your camera. A mobius just doesn't weigh enough to make it work well. A Gopro is just enough. You can even get worse vibrations using just a Mobius on the dampening balls. On my Blackout I have both the dampening balls and one sided sticky back foam in between the plates. The balls dampen the high speed vibrations and the foam dampens the low speed vibrations.

Remember that most clued on people also use a tinted layer lens on their GoPro which also helps with vibrations. The tint in the layer lens darkens the image and slows the shutter speed down in the camera which also reduces the viewable vibrations in the recorded movie. On my Blackout I still get some vibrations in my footage when flying outside using the Mobius but when I go to a car park at night the image is super smooth for the same reason. I wish I could find a tinted layer lens for the wide angle Mobius lens.

C0d3M0nk3y

On my Blackout I have both the dampening balls and one sided sticky back foam in between the plates. The balls dampen the high speed vibrations and the foam dampens the low speed vibrations.

That's a good idea. Are you still mounting the Mobius tilted up, or do you have it mounted flat?

when I go to a car park at night the image is super smooth for the same reason.
The video quality on your recent car park videos is excellent.

nilsen

I wish I could find a tinted layer lens for the wide angle Mobius lens.

I made my own tinted lens for the gopro and mobius having bought some photographic ND filter material and putting the circle into a DIY lens cover. It works a treat.
I also attached a small lens hood to lessen the effect of the props as flickering when flying in full sun (obviously only valid when the camera is under the frame like on a hex).

C0d3M0nk3y

I had my first crash yesterday that resulted in broken G10. The arm carrying motor number 2 snapped in half.

The crash itself didn't look all that bad. It fell from about 25 feet or so, but it looks like the arm took the force of the whole crash. Here's the video:

It's worth mentioning that this is the same arm that was carrying the ESC that caught on fire a while back. I don't know if the heat could have weakened the G10 in any way, or if this is just a coincidence.

I've already been in touch with Twitchity about replacement parts. This hex will fly again.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Ouch. About where I'd guess they'd break at the end of the plates like that. Might have just been it's time - I suspect that spot gets a lot of stress in crashes so after enough it may have just been ready to go and the little crash today was the final straw.

If it helps you feel any better I smashed my knuckle into pieces again today too :)

C0d3M0nk3y

Ouch. About where I'd guess they'd break at the end of the plates like that. Might have just been it's time - I suspect that spot gets a lot of stress in crashes so after enough it may have just been ready to go and the little crash today was the final straw.
Yeah, that's probably the case. I have had a few hard crashes.

If it helps you feel any better I smashed my knuckle into pieces again today too :)
It will only help if there's video of it happening. :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Yeah, that's probably the case. I have had a few hard crashes.

It will only help if there's video of it happening. :)

Sadly no, I wasn't filming :(

But, I do have video I'll get up later tonight of my emax FPV 250 having some kind of fault and suddenly falling out of the sky from about 60' up. Landed on it's gear and only broke one prop. Not sure what exactly happened. Was not a good day for the FPV quad :( First battery pack (nanotech 1300) only lasted 3.5 minutes before reaching the point I like to stop at. Usually I get 6-7 minutes out of it. Second pack (another nanotech, the first ones twin) didn't last 3 minutes in the air. As soon as I throttled up the voltage sagged enough my VTX cut out. Second try the video stayed on...but looked horrible and the quad could barley gain altitude. 3rd pack switched to a Turnigy 30c 1300, the wind had calmed down by now and the flight was feeling great...when suddenly the Naze32 beeped and the quad fell out of the sky. I'm guessing it was a failsafe, but I can't imagine why as I was running my LRS (that I've had no issues with up to almost a mile), was less than 300feet away and wasn't doing anything crazy. Thankfully I found the mobius since it popped off. One broken prop and one missing rubber mount was the extent of the damage. Except to add insult to injury on the walk back to the truck my transmitter strap suddenly broke and dropped my 9x into the dirt :(

Thankfully I also had my mini scout and mini speedster and my FT-22 along - the wind disappeared and I still had packs I could fly in the fpv250 but I decided to cut my losses and stuck with fixed wing LOS for the rest of the evening and got some nice footage of the Scout against a great sunset.

C0d3M0nk3y

I got my replacement arm painted and installed this weekend. It feels good to have this hex back in the air.

I also installed Cleanflight on the FC to try it out.

Twitchity

Glad to see the hex is back in the air! I recently switched over to Cleanflight and I've been enjoying it so far.

You need to get out there and get that new arm dirty now!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Have you noticed now that CleanFlight is moving along some of the changes are "suddenly" also appearing in BaseFlight as well?

Hmmmmm.......

Thurmond