Texan AT6

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Alp,

That is an amazing looking plane. I love that you maidened it in the wind :) What program did you use to model it? I have been working on a GeeBee in sketchup but I cant get it too look anything like that and I won't get the poster-board patterns with the approach I have taken so far. I would love to know how you did it.

ALP does his 3D modeling in SolidWorks.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
In case anyone is interested, it takes 3 sheets of poster board to create a set of templates for ALP's At-6 Texan. :)

2015-05-26 19.56.29.jpg

lanerover

facebook build log

Brilliant design but maybe its only fair to point out that many of the photos of the build on Facebook bear no relationship to the actual parts being used and appear to relate to a completely different plane. I've built around 30 foam board planes and this certainly had me scratching my head in places particularly the access hatch and the battery carrier (which doesn't exist on the plans). Hopefully now all is sorted and I can look at fitting retracts. Thanks for a super looking plane.
😁

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Brilliant design but maybe its only fair to point out that many of the photos of the build on Facebook bear no relationship to the actual parts being used and appear to relate to a completely different plane. I've built around 30 foam board planes and this certainly had me scratching my head in places particularly the access hatch and the battery carrier (which doesn't exist on the plans). Hopefully now all is sorted and I can look at fitting retracts. Thanks for a super looking plane.


Can you post a link to the facebook build log you are referring to? I never saw ALP mention one? Are you sure it's for this design?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Here we go. Started on the fuselage tonight.

2015-06-03 00.23.12.jpg

So far the build has been pretty straight forward. One question though Alp. How do you figure out the spacing for former 9 (F9)?

lanerover

I bent and glued the cockpit tray so it aligned with the top of the formers, then working off that the spacing between 8 & 9 is 3 3/8" or 85 mm.
Kevin.

richb2599

Building a Texan

Here we go. Started on the fuselage tonight.

View attachment 48145

So far the build has been pretty straight forward. One question though Alp. How do you figure out the spacing for former 9 (F9)?

Sponz, how did your Texan turn out? I built the Corsair and absolutely love that plane. I fly it with a power 10 motor on 4cell and it screams. Anyway, I'm building my Texan now and was thinking about retracts. Have you done that with any of Alp's designs? Have any pictures of yous?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz, how did your Texan turn out? I built the Corsair and absolutely love that plane. I fly it with a power 10 motor on 4cell and it screams. Anyway, I'm building my Texan now and was thinking about retracts. Have you done that with any of Alp's designs? Have any pictures of yous?

Unfortunately, that was as far as I got with my build. The fuse is still sitting right next to my build table. I will likely get back to work on it during the winter to have for next years flying season. Too many other projects got in the way. I will finish it, just not sure when yet.

richb2599

Unfortunately, that was as far as I got with my build. The fuse is still sitting right next to my build table. I will likely get back to work on it during the winter to have for next years flying season. Too many other projects got in the way. I will finish it, just not sure when yet.

Yep, totally understand "other projects".

richb2599

Building a Texan

Well I finished my Texan and maidened her today. I used a parkzone 480 size, 960 kv motor and prop salvaged from a Stinson Reliant and it worked great. All up weight with a 2200 3-cell was 1015 grams.

Thanks again Alp for the great designs. My Corsair and now my Texan are my favorite park fliers.

Next I want to use your technique to build a Piper Cherokee 140.

Attachments

• 20150929_082502.jpg
    20150929_082502.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20150929_132813.jpg
    20150929_132813.jpg
    1,017.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20150929_133233.jpg
    20150929_133233.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20150929_133437.jpg
    20150929_133437.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 20150929_082656.jpg
    20150929_082656.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

richb2599

What did you use for a canopy?

Those are always tough. I found clear plastic sheets .015 mil at Hobby Lobby. The small piece at the back is from a soda bottle. I tried forming the top around a dowel with heat gun but that didn't turn out too well. So I made formers out of piano wire and used CA to glue the plastic to them. Worked great and it is solid. The formers are at the 4 main vertical lines.

richb2599

AT-6 Texan maiden flight

Here's the video of my Texan maiden flight. It's always difficult to get close up video but I think you'll get the idea.

Last edited:

Peter Cyr

Just Wow !

This comment comes from a brand new RC obsessed one, but I have to say, that is a beautiful airplane right there. Can you please tell me a little about the colour and finish on this?

Is it painted or ironed on? Incidentally, is anyone doing iron on finish over foam board?